Sunday, June 14, 2009

Fly

Today I opened my front door to a baby red-breasted robin and mother on my front porch. The youngster was learning to fly, mom nearby coaxing him.

I stood there, watching. I didn't want to open the front door anyway, and disturb a class in session. I watched as the baby figured out how to get over the railing and move along.

When class was over I got in my car and ran some errands. Shortly thereafter I returned home to see that the mother was still there, hopping about and eating breakfast (worms ), the young one nowhere in sight. So it occurr to me that I had just witnessed mom saying goodbye to her baby as he went about his life.

A necessary part of life, sometimes, this spreading your wings and flying. And also, the letting go by those you've left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment